EEA Permanent Residency

All European Union countries have a facility for someone to become a permanent resident, as EU legislation allows an EU national who moves to another EU country to attain permanent resident status after residing there for five years.

You can apply for a permanent residency if you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years as a qualified person. This will prove your right to live in the UK permanently.

You can also apply if you’re the family member of a qualified person, or you have a retained right of residence. You must have lived in the UK for 5 years.

In some cases you can get permanent residence if you’ve lived in the UK for fewer than 5 years. Please speak to one of our advisers who can clarify whether you qualify or not.

Apply as a ‘family member’

You’re a family member if you’re:

  • A spouse or civil partner
  • A child or grandchild who is either under 21 or a dependant
  • dependent parent or grandparent

Apply as an ‘extended family member’

If the qualified person isn’t in your close family, you can apply as an ‘extended family member’. You’re an extended family member if you’re

  • A brother or sister
  • A cousin
  • A aunt or uncle
  • A niece or nephew
  • have lived in the same house as them before and after coming to the UK
  • have a serious medical condition that means you need their personal care.