EU Residence Card

The Residence card is the evidence of right to live which already exits. It is issued to family members who are not members of the European Union or the European Economic Area but who are living in a family with an EEA citizen who exercises his Treaty rights. A residence card allows right of entry and is usually issued for a period of 5 years and grants employment and self-employment.

You can apply for a residence card if you’re both:

  • From outside theEuropean Economic Area (EEA)
  • The family member, or extended family member, of anEEA national who is a permanent resident or a qualified person.
  • You may also be eligible for a residence card if you have a ‘retained right of residence’ or apply as a ‘Surinder Singh’ case.


A qualified person is someone who is in the UK and one of the following applies:

  • You’re working
  • you’re self-employed
  • you’re self-sufficient
  • you’re studying
  • you’re looking for work (only if you meet certain conditions)

Our team of experts at City Legal Services deals with resident card applications on a weekly basis and we make sure that our clients are able to exercise their rights.At City Legal, our expert EEA Immigration advisers can assist you in preparing your case and making a successful application. For more details, please give us a call on 020 3695 4626.