Join with Family in the UK

You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently. Your family member can be a British citizen, have settled in the UK or have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks. Check to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.


If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:

  • join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
  • join your parent
  • come to look after your child
  • come to be looked after by family


You may need to apply in a different way if your partner is from the EEA, you’re inside the UK or you want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK. Please contact us on 020 3695 4626 for more detail.



To apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, you must be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Your partner or family member must have one of the following:

  • British citizenship
  • settlement in the UK
  • asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must also prove that:

  • you’re 18 or over, unless you’re applying as a child
  • your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
  • you intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply (unless you’re a parent with access rights)
  • either you or your family member can support and accommodate you and any dependent children while in the UK, or you meet the financial requirement
  • you and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • you have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over - unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative


Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship.

You must be one of the following:

  • married or civil partners
  • living together in a relationship for 2 years
  • engaged to be married or to become civil partners

You must prove that any previous relationships you or your partner had are permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

If you’re engaged you must prove that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK. You won’t be able to work during your engagement. You can bring your children, but they must be under 18.You must name your children on your application, but you’ll need to apply for them separately.

Joining your parents

You must be under 18 and all of the following must apply:

  • you’ll be living with your parent or parents
  • you’re not married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
  • you’ll be supported and accommodated adequately without using public funds, or you meet the financial requirement


Coming to look after your child

Your child must be under 18 and living in the UK & you must prove that you’re not able to apply as a partner and that either:

  • you’re the only parent of the child and you’re the only person who’s responsible for them (you have ‘sole responsibility’)
  • your child lives permanently with another parent or carer who’s British or settled in the UK and not your partner, and you want to help raise them

You must be able to support and accommodate yourself without claiming public funds.


Coming to be cared for - you’re an adult dependent relative

You must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter of someone living permanently in the UK.

You must prove that:

  • you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks
  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
  • the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
  • you’re 18 or over


Your situation Fee
Joining your partner or parent £885
Coming to look after your child £885
Adult who needs to be looked after by a relative £1,982

You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to work (you can’t work if you’ve got a visa to get married or to become civil partners) or study. However you can’t get public funds for yourself and any dependants. You may be able to apply to extend your visa or settle in the UK permanently.