Partner route

You may be eligible for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) if your partner is a British citizen or a person settled in the UK. Partners are 2 people in a genuine relationship - you must be able to prove any of the following – if you’re married or you’re in a civil partnership or you’ve been in a relationship for 2 years. You and your partner must intend to continue your relationship after you apply for settlement.


You need to have been living in the UK with a ‘partner of a settled person’ visa for 2 years if you applied for your visa before 9 July 2012 or 5 years or 10 years if you applied for your visa on or after 9 July 2012.If you’re 18 to 64 years old when you apply you must also pass the Life in the UK Test and an approved English language test. There’s no financial requirement if you applied for your partner visa on the 10-year route.

If you’re on the 2-year route (ie you applied before 9 July 2012) you and your partner must prove you have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves and any dependants without using public funds.If you’re on the 5-year route you’ll need to prove you have at least:

• £18,600 for each year for you
• £22,400 if you’re including 1 child
• £2,400 for each additional child

You won’t need to prove this if you or your partner get certain disability benefits or a carer’s allowance, but you’ll need to adequately accommodate and support yourselves and any dependants. If you’re a partner on the 5- or 10-year route, the earliest date you’ll become eligible to apply for settlement is June 2017. Check the application form to find out what supporting documents you need to send with your application.

Your child under 18 can apply for settlement on your application form if your partner is their other parent. If your partner is not their other parent, they can apply in the following circumstances -their other parent is dead and you have sole responsibility for their upbringing & there are compelling reasons why they should be allowed to stay.

Parent in this circumstance means a natural (biological) parent ,an adoptive parent or a step-parent where the biological parent has died. Children under 18 must have or have had a valid visa to be in the UK. They must also be living with you and your partner have proof they’ll be supported and accommodated adequately without using public funds not be married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life.

Your child 18 or over and over may be eligible to settle if they have or have had permission to be in the UK as your dependant you have permission to be in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or settled person. They must meet the same eligibility as a dependent child under 18. They may also need to pass the Life in the UK Test and an approved English language test. Your child 18 or over must apply separately on their own form.


Who you’re applying for Apply by post Apply in person (premium service)
You £1,093 £1,493
All dependants £1,093 per person £1,493 per person