Settle in the UK

You can apply to settle in the UK if you’ve been in the UK legally for 10 continuous years (known as ‘long residence’).

You must have permission to stay (‘leave to remain’). This can be in any immigration category, or a combination of different immigration categories. You must also have been in the UK legally for 10 years (known as your ‘continuous residence’) & must have kept to the terms of your UK visa. If you’re aged 18 to 65 years old, you must also have passed the Life in the UK Test & prove you have sufficient English language skills .If you don’t meet these 2 requirements you can apply to extend rather than settle.

Your 10-year qualifying period starts from either when you arrived in the UK with a visa or when you were given permission to stay in the UK

Continuous residence is time you’ve spent in the UK without gaps, you can leave the UK during the continuous residence for up to 180 days at a time or 539 days in total.

You can’t count time spent in: • a prison, young offender’s institution or secure hospital • the Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man or Channel Islands Settle based on 10 yrs Private Life Route You can settle in UK based on 10 yrs Private life route if you currently have permission because you joined the Private Life 10-year settlement route in one of the following categories: • you were between 18 and 24 and you’d lived continuously in the UK for more than half your life • you were 25 or over and you’d been in the UK continuously for 20 years • you were over 18 and you’d spent less than 20 years in the UK but you had no ties with any other country • you were under 18 and you’d lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, and it would’ve been unreasonable to expect you to live in a different country Eligibility

You must have been living in the UK for 10 years from the date you started on the 10-year route to settlement for Private Life. You won’t be able to apply to settle until 2022 at the earliest - 10 years after this way to settle was introduced. If you’re 18 to 64 years old you must also pass the Life in the UK Test an approved English language test. Your partner must be eligible in their own right. They’ll be able to apply on the same form as you or separately. Your child may apply separately or on the same form as you if they’re also eligible in the Private Life route. If they aren’t eligible themselves, they can apply as your dependant if they aren’t married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life, will be living with you and have enough money to be adequately supported and accommodated by you without relying on public funds. You and your child’s other parent must both be in the UK legally, or currently applying to enter, remain or settle, for the child to be allowed to settle. Your child can also apply to settle in 1 of the following situations you have sole responsibility for your child, or the child normally lives with you their other parent is dead there are compelling reasons why they should be allowed to stay..


You £1,093
All dependants £1,093 per person