You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:
• are a Commonwealth citizen
• are applying from outside the UK
• are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
• are able and planning to work in the UK
• meet the other eligibility requirements
You must prove that you are 17 or over, have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself and any dependants, can and plan to work in the UK. You must also show that you have a grandparent born in any of the following circumstances in the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
• before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland
• on a British-registered ship or aircraft
You can claim ancestry if either you or the relevant parent were adopted & were born within or outside marriage in the UK. You can’t claim UK ancestry through step-parents. You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. You can check https://www.gov.uk/visa-processing-times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country. Your UK Ancestry visa will cost £289.You can stay in the UK for 5 years on this visa & then you can apply to extend your visa or apply to settle in the UK permanently. You can work, study & bring family members However you can’t change (‘switch’) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa or get public funds.