Child 7 year route - Private Life in the UK

A child who has lived in the UK for 7 years continuously can apply for leave to remain on the basis of private life. Paragraph 276ADE(1)(iv) requires that the applicant must be under the age of 18 years and must have lived continuously in the UK for at least 7 years (discounting any period of imprisonment) and it should not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK. The application on the basis of 7 years residence of the child is made using application form FLR (FP).

The outcome of such application depends on many factors including:

  • the best interests of the child;
  • the immigration status of the parents of the child;
  • the financial circumstances of the parents of the child which would affect the well-being of the child in their country of origin;
  • the circumstances in the country to which the child and the child’s parents can be required to go and live in;
  • any medical conditions of the child or of the parents of the child;
  • any special needs of the child including any medical and educational needs of the child;
  • any special circumstances showing exceptionally strong private life established by the child in the UK which will be completely lost resulting in compromising the well-being of the child;
  • any psychological effect on the life of the child, etc.

The successful applicant will be granted leave to remain for 30 months under the 10 years route to settlement whereby an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) can be made after 10 years of continuous residence in the UK under this visa category.

Our Immigration Lawyers have worked within most areas of often complex immigration law.  If you are seeking legal help from immigration lawyers in London in relation to your application for leave to remain based on 7 years residence as a child; then our immigration team can provide you fast, friendly, reliable, honest and professional immigration service.

Contact us today for help with child’s private life claim. Call us on 0330 058 3929 or email us at

Client Success Stories

We have been recently instructed to deal with a client (child) who spend just over 7 years in the UK. We carried out an in-depth consultation with the child and parents and engaged a child Education Psychologist to assess the child. The child also did not speak the native language and we instructed a language specialist provide us a report for the same and obtained necessary country specific information from relevant authorities about prospects of education etc. The application was well prepared by producing expert witness reports at the application stage with a view to avoid unnecessary costs on litigation.

Child 7 years in the UK
Child 7 years in the UK