Are you eligible for an Unmarried Partner Visa?!

It has been possible since 1997 for unmarried partners both in a heterosexual and same sex relationship to gain entry to the UK using an unmarried partners visa. Applications for unmarried partner visas tend to be more difficult than those based on marriage as you need to show that you have been together for two years and that it is a permanent relationship. The requirements since April 2003 are as follows:

  • You have to show that any previous relationship whether in marriage or as an unmarried couple has ended.
  • You should have been living together for at least two years in a relationship similar to marriage. You will need to provide documentary evidence confirming that you have been living together for this time.
  • If you have been together for less than four years you are granted a visa for a probationary period of two years. If you are still living together at the end of two years in the UK permanent residence (properly known as indefinite leave to remain) will usually be granted.
  • If you have been together for four years or more outside the UK you will be granted indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence) in the UK without having to live in the UK for two years. Again, you will need to provide documentary evidence proving this.
  • You must intend to live together permanently with your partner.
  • You must possess sufficient funds to pay you and your partner’s living expenses and those of any dependants without claiming public funds. Public funds cover various benefits paid by the Government if you are currently looking for work, if you are on a low income and if you are in various other situations.
  • Accommodation for the unmarried partners, and any dependants, must be suitable and available.
  • It is a requirement that the overseas unmarried partner has to be 16 years old or over, and the sponsor in the UK has to be at least 18 years old.
  • Children of the unmarried partners who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the main applicant.
  • After a total period of five years in the UK if you meet the residence requirements you may then apply for UK Citizenship.

If you have any further questions or would like us to assist you in the above matter, please call us on

020 3695 4626

Share this:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *