When applying for long-term student visa you apply for a Tier 4 Student visa which is part of the Point Based System (PBS). Acquiring a Tier Visa is a bit more difficult than acquiring a short-term visa due to specific student visa requirements and limits to the number of migrants that can come. With a Tier 4 Visa you are able to bring your family to the UK, stay in the UK the duration of your study course and some time before and after. If you only wish to stay for 6 months or less (or a 11 months English language course) you should apply for a Student Visitor Visa, for which a non-visa national is not required to apply.
Before you apply for a visa you should always check that you:
- Meet the requirements of your immigration category; and
- Do not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.
If you apply for a visa you need to:
- Complete the correct Tier 4 visa application form;
- Pay the correct fee;
- Submit the required supporting documents;
- Provide your biometric information (unless exempt); and
- If necessary, undergo tuberculosis screening.
If the Entry Clearance Officer cannot make an immediate decision on your application, he/she might ask you to attend an interview. The application form is for your own visa and you must apply for it yourself. If you need help completing the application you can ask someone to help you but you must apply yourself.Do not forget to sign the application form to declare that the information you have provided is true and accurate.
The Tier 4 visa is subject to the following conditions:
- No recourse to public funds;
- Registration with the police, if required under the relevant rules;
- No more than 3 years studying courses below degree level after you have turned 18; and
- Specific work and study restrictions.
You must be at least 16 years of age (please see the Tier 4 Child Visa category if you are under 16) and not fall for refusal under the general grounds. If you are under 18 years old, your application must be supported by your parents, legal guardian or by one parent if that parent has sole legal responsibility for you. The relevant person must also confirm that they consent to the arrangements for your travel to, and reception and care in, the UK.
If you would like more information about how to apply for a student visa call us on 020 3695 4626 or visit our webpage.