About Us
Firm History & Expertise
City Legal is a multi award winning law firm specialising in UK Immigration Law, Wills & Estate Planning, Global Citizenship as well as providing Business, Education and HR Consultancy to both individual and corporate clients around the world.
Our Team
Meet the experts behind our success.
Accreditations & Awards
Check our credibility and reliability.
Reviews & Testimonials
View our client feedback from all sources.
Join our multi award-winning team.
Knowledge Hub
Quick and Easy access for relevant sources.
See informative videos on legal areas we cover.
See visual presentation of key information.
Digital information on different practice areas.
View engaging online events & presentations.
Get more Insights on our firm and services.
Learn more on recent events and latest updates.
Listen to our audio version of blog anywhere.
Success Stories
Get a more understanding of our past experience.
View All
HGV Food Drivers: Eligibility & Conditions
Temporary Visa Scheme for HGV Drivers & Poultry Workers
Immigration Rule Changes September 2021
Right to work checks changes from 01 September 2021
EU Settlement Scheme Deadline Fast Approaching.
Contact Us
Call Us
Speak with our award-winning team on 0330 058 3929 to learn more. Available Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Request a Call Back
Choose a convenient time and we will get in touch to discuss your enquiry. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Chat with Us
Our expert legal team is available to answer your questions. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Email Us
Please send us an email to enquiries@citylegalservices.co.uk and we will be in touch to discuss your legal matter.
22 Peterborough Road, Harrow, London, HA1 2BQ
Client Area
Client Portal
City Legal offer clients a dedicated portal to view and manage their transactions, accept estimates, pay invoices and get client account statements.
Manage Appointments
Already booked a Consultation? Log-in to your Appointment Dashboard and change or manage your bookings to suit your availability.
Document Management
Our clients can securely view, share and comment on documents online at any time via our dedicated document management portal linked to your matter.
Pay Legal Fees
We offer an online payment facility to our clients for the payment of Legal Fees or Client Invoices online by credit or debit card at no additional cost.
Book an Appointment
Personal Immigration

Child 7 year visa

Make a FREE Enquiry
Child 7 Year Visa

A child who is under the age of 18 years old who has lived continuously in the UK for at least 7 years can apply under the private life route, if it can be proved that it is not reasonable to expect that child to leave the UK.

Child 7 Year Visa Eligibility Requirements

In order to qualify under the private life route within the immigration rules, the child must the below requirements.

  • Child is living in the UK
  • Be under 18 years of age
  • Has spent at least 7 years continuously in the UK (discounting any period of imprisonment)
  • It would not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK.

It is worth noting that, it is not an automatic grant of leave on the basis of 7 year residency and evidence must be provided to support that it would not be reasonable to expect the child to leave the UK. The outcome of the child’s application depends on many factors including but not limited to consideration of the child’s best interest, immigration status of parents, financial circumstances of the parents, circumstances in the country to which child would be required to go, medical conditions or any special needs, well being and psychological impact on child’s life etc.

The successful applicant will be granted leave to remain for 30 months under the 10 years route to settlement whereby an application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) can be made after 10 years of continuous residence in the UK under this visa category. There are provisions within the Immigration rules under Appendix FM for single parents to apply under parent route. There is no specific provision within the Immigration rules to grant leave to the parents or family of a child who spent 7 years in the UK, where neither of the parents have status and the parents are still together. However, depending on the circumstances, it may be appropriate for the parents to apply for leave outside the rules. In most cases, if the child is deemed qualified for the leave, the family should be granted leave in line with that under the private life route.

How can we assist?

Our Immigration lawyers at City Legal have worked within most areas of often complex immigration law. We can undertake a detailed assessment of the child’s circumstances and identify any reasons that may be deemed unreasonable to move back to the home country. We are a multi award winning law firm and pride ourselves in being approachable, innovative and always going that extra mile to make sure our clients receive the individual attention they deserve. Our Immigration team maintains a high reputation and is committed to provide clear, transparent and reliable advice to our clients.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I show that it is not reasonable for the child to leave the UK?

This is based on individual circumstances and some factors may include the strength of the relationship and ties the child has in the UK, child’s age and time spent in the UK, not being able to pursue the same level of education, not being able to speak the language of the home country, medical conditions that may provide better care in the UK, psychological impact etc.

Does the child need to be born in the UK to qualify under this route?

This is a common misconception regarding this route. It is not required that the child should be born in the UK to qualify for this route, but just need to satisfy 7 year residency rules and meet the unreasonableness test.

How do I apply under the child 7 year route?

The child 7 year private life route application is made online under the FLR(FP) form. Applicants are recommended to obtain legal advice prior to completing the application, as this is a complicated route requiring specialist knowledge to ensure maximum success scope for the application.

Is it possible to have short absences in the 7 year continuous residency?

‘Continuous period’ is not interpreted so absolutely in the Immigration Rules whereby applicants can make visits outside the UK, not more than six months at any one time, and it would not count as a break in the continuous period of at least seven years required.

What happens if my application is refused?

The Human Rights/Private Life applications normally carry a right of appeal unless the Home Office certifies the claim as clearly unfounded. If an appeal right is granted, the applicant may apply to the First-Tier Tribunal.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram