About Us
Firm History & Expertise
City Legal is a multi award winning law firm specialising in UK Immigration Law, Wills & Estate Planning, Global Citizenship as well as providing Business, Education and HR Consultancy to both individual and corporate clients around the world.
Our Team
Meet the experts behind our success.
Accreditations & Awards
Check our credibility and reliability.
Reviews & Testimonials
View our client feedback from all sources.
Join our multi award-winning team.
Knowledge Hub
Quick and Easy access for relevant sources.
See informative videos on legal areas we cover.
See visual presentation of key information.
Digital information on different practice areas.
View engaging online events & presentations.
Get more Insights on our firm and services.
Learn more on recent events and latest updates.
Listen to our audio version of blog anywhere.
Success Stories
Get a more understanding of our past experience.
View All
HGV Food Drivers: Eligibility & Conditions
Temporary Visa Scheme for HGV Drivers & Poultry Workers
Immigration Rule Changes September 2021
Right to work checks changes from 01 September 2021
EU Settlement Scheme Deadline Fast Approaching.
Contact Us
Call Us
Speak with our award-winning team on 0330 058 3929 to learn more. Available Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Request a Call Back
Choose a convenient time and we will get in touch to discuss your enquiry. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Chat with Us
Our expert legal team is available to answer your questions. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Email Us
Please send us an email to enquiries@citylegalservices.co.uk and we will be in touch to discuss your legal matter.
22 Peterborough Road, Harrow, London, HA1 2BQ
Client Area
Client Portal
City Legal offer clients a dedicated portal to view and manage their transactions, accept estimates, pay invoices and get client account statements.
Manage Appointments
Already booked a Consultation? Log-in to your Appointment Dashboard and change or manage your bookings to suit your availability.
Document Management
Our clients can securely view, share and comment on documents online at any time via our dedicated document management portal linked to your matter.
Pay Legal Fees
We offer an online payment facility to our clients for the payment of Legal Fees or Client Invoices online by credit or debit card at no additional cost.
Book an Appointment
Personal Immigration

Adult Dependant Relative Visa

Make a FREE Enquiry
Adult Dependant Relative Visa

This route is for adult dependent relatives of British citizens, those settled in the UK or with refugee leave to come to the UK Indefinitely to get care and support from the family in the UK. This route can only be applied from outside the UK.

Adult Dependant Visa Eligibility Requirements

In order to qualify for an Adult Dependent Relative visa, the applicant needs to be above 18 years old or above and satisfy the below requirements.

  • Must be a dependant parent, grandparent, brother or sister, son or daughter of the sponsor living in the UK
  • Requires long term personal care to do everyday household tasks such as washing, cooking etc as a result of age or any related illness or disability
  • Required care is either not available or affordable in applicant's home country
  • Sponsoring family member will be able to adequately maintain, accommodate, support and care for the applicant without claiming any public funds for at least 5 years

The evidence threshold is very high on this route, as the applicants would need to prove that they are unable to access the required care even with the sponsoring relative’s financial and practical help. The general view is that, if the care needed can be provided by a nursing home or house keeper the applicant is unlikely to qualify. It is also further required to support the application with evidence of why the care required is not available in the home country and provide financial evidence of why this may not be affordable if that is the case.

The applicants are normally granted Indefinite Leave to remain if they are successful, unless the sponsoring relative is a refugee or has humanitarian protection with limited leave; in that case the applicant will be granted a limited leave to enter in line with the sponsoring relative.

How can we assist?

Our Immigration lawyers at City Legal have immense experience in assisting clients on family and private life visa applications. We can undertake a detailed assessment of applicant’s care requirements and work with experts to provide necessary evidence to support the application. We are a multi award winning law firm and pride ourselves in being approachable, innovative and always going that extra mile to make sure our clients receive the individual attention they deserve. Our Immigration team maintains a high reputation and is committed to provide clear, transparent and reliable advice to our clients.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does adequate maintenance mean?

The requirement for adequate maintenance that need to be provided by the sponsoring relative can be met by evidencing the care arranged for the applicant, the subsequent costs for these arrangements and how these costs will be met by the sponsor.

Will I need to pass an English Language test for this visa?

There is currently no requirement for the applicant to pass an English Language exam or provide alternative language proficiency evidence to apply for this visa. In addition to this, applicants are also exempted from minimum income criteria.

What specific documents are required to show need for long term care?

The applicants may provide Independent medical evidence from a Doctor or a health professional that the applicant’s physical or mental condition means that they cannot perform everyday tasks.

What happens if I do not meet the rules for this application?

In most of the cases, an adult dependant relative application triggers a human rights claim. The Entry Clearance officer may consider whether there are any exceptional circumstances and see if Article 8 is engaged and if so whether the refusal will result in unjustifiable harsh consequences.

What can I do if my application is refused?

The Adult Dependant Relative route application refusals carry a right of appeal to the Immigration Tribunals. Applicants must launch the appeal within 28 days of the refusal to the First Tier Tribunal and should seek expert legal advice.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram