About Us
Firm History & Expertise
City Legal is a multi award winning law firm specialising in UK Immigration Law, Wills & Estate Planning, Global Citizenship as well as providing Business, Education and HR Consultancy to both individual and corporate clients around the world.
Our Team
Meet the experts behind our success.
Accreditations & Awards
Check our credibility and reliability.
Reviews & Testimonials
View our client feedback from all sources.
Join our multi award-winning team.
Knowledge Hub
Quick and Easy access for relevant sources.
See informative videos on legal areas we cover.
See visual presentation of key information.
Digital information on different practice areas.
View engaging online events & presentations.
Get more Insights on our firm and services.
Learn more on recent events and latest updates.
Listen to our audio version of blog anywhere.
Success Stories
Get a more understanding of our past experience.
View All
Contact Us
Call Us
Speak with our award-winning team on 0330 058 3929 to learn more. Available Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Request a Call Back
Choose a convenient time and we will get in touch to discuss your enquiry. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Chat with Us
Our expert legal team is available to answer your questions. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Email Us
Please send us an email to enquiries@citylegalservices.co.uk and we will be in touch to discuss your legal matter.
22 Peterborough Road, Harrow, London, HA1 2BQ
Client Area
Client Portal
City Legal offer clients a dedicated portal to view and manage their transactions, accept estimates, pay invoices and get client account statements.
Manage Appointments
Already booked a Consultation? Log-in to your Appointment Dashboard and change or manage your bookings to suit your availability.
Document Management
Our clients can securely view, share and comment on documents online at any time via our dedicated document management portal linked to your matter.
Pay Legal Fees
We offer an online payment facility to our clients for the payment of Legal Fees or Client Invoices online by credit or debit card at no additional cost.
Book an Appointment
Personal Immigration

Short Term Study Visa

Make a FREE Enquiry
Short-term study visa

The short-term student category allows international students over 16 years old to come to the UK to undertake a short course. This route is mostly used by students to undertake an English Language course, a Training course or for short research as part of the Degree courses being studied abroad. Students may also use this route to come to the UK to resit an exam or re-take any modules; but should not use this route for extended periods by frequent or successive visits.

Short-term study visa requirements

Students coming under this category must prove that they have been offered an unconditional place on a course in an accepted institution, have enough money to support themselves without any recourse to public funds and can pay for their return journey. The child student applicants under 18 years of age must also ensure that they have made accommodation arrangements and hace permission from their parents or legal guardian to study in the UK. The students must be accepted on a course to learn English and above 16 years old to be eligible to apply for the 11 months short-term visa. The course must be undertaken at an educational institution approved as a licenced sponsor or accredited by one of the following bodies.

  • Accreditation Body for Language Services
  • Accreditation Service for International Colleges
  • Accreditation UK
  • British Accreditation Council
  • Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)
  • Estyn (in Wales)
  • Education Scotland
  • Independent Schools Inspectorate
  • Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
  • Office for Students
  • Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education

In addition to this, if the application is to visit the UK as part of an overseas course, the applicants must ensure that their education institution must hold its own national accreditation, offer only part of the educational programme in the UK and offer other programmes similar to and equivalent to a UK degree. In order to visit the UK under this visa for research, the applicants must be over 16 years old, be already enrolled in an overseas UK equivalent degree programme and undertake the research in a UK recognised body. The short term student visa is normally granted for 6 months for any short courses including English language courses or 11 months – an extended visa for English language courses only.

How can we assist?

Our Immigration lawyers at City Legal have immense experience in assisting international students from across the globe. We are also a British Council accredited Education Consultancy firm and have partnered with selected Universities to provide admission & education consultancy services directly to our clients. We can provide all services under one roof; whether it is an admission to university, facilitating a foundation course prior to Degree, study visa application or discussing post study options.

We are a multi award winning law firm and pride ourselves in being approachable, innovative and always going that extra mile to make sure our clients receive the individual attention they deserve. Our Immigration team maintains a high reputation and is committed to provide clear, transparent and reliable advice to our clients.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to extend a Short-term study visa?

It is not possible to extend a short-term study visa and its normally granted for its intended short purpose. Students also should not use this route for extended periods by frequent or successive visits.

Can I bring my family members under this category?

Family members as dependants are not permitted under this category. However, they may apply separately on a standard visit visa if they wish to join the applicant on the visit, which is normally granted for 6 months.

Can I work part-time on a Short-term study visa?

Students granted a short-term study visa are not allowed to work or carry out any business activities. This restriction also applies to any work placements or work experience.

How long does it take to get a decision on this visa?

The visa processing time normally outside the UK for this category is around 15 working days. The applicants may apply upto 3 months in advance of their proposed travel date. There is also a priority option available for this application.

Do I need to pay Immigration Health Surcharge for a short-term study visa?

If the application for a short-term study visa is for 11 months to study an English language course, applicants will be liable to pay a mandatory health surcharge before their application is considered.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram