About Us
Firm History & Expertise
City Legal is a multi award winning law firm specialising in UK Immigration Law, Wills & Estate Planning, Global Citizenship as well as providing Business, Education and HR Consultancy to both individual and corporate clients around the world.
Our Team
Meet the experts behind our success.
Accreditations & Awards
Check our credibility and reliability.
Reviews & Testimonials
View our client feedback from all sources.
Join our multi award-winning team.
Knowledge Hub
Quick and Easy access for relevant sources.
See informative videos on legal areas we cover.
See visual presentation of key information.
Digital information on different practice areas.
View engaging online events & presentations.
Get more Insights on our firm and services.
Learn more on recent events and latest updates.
Listen to our audio version of blog anywhere.
Success Stories
Get a more understanding of our past experience.
View All
HGV Food Drivers: Eligibility & Conditions
Temporary Visa Scheme for HGV Drivers & Poultry Workers
Immigration Rule Changes September 2021
Right to work checks changes from 01 September 2021
EU Settlement Scheme Deadline Fast Approaching.
Contact Us
Call Us
Speak with our award-winning team on 0330 058 3929 to learn more. Available Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Request a Call Back
Choose a convenient time and we will get in touch to discuss your enquiry. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Chat with Us
Our expert legal team is available to answer your questions. Available Monday – Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Email Us
Please send us an email to enquiries@citylegalservices.co.uk and we will be in touch to discuss your legal matter.
22 Peterborough Road, Harrow, London, HA1 2BQ
Client Area
Client Portal
City Legal offer clients a dedicated portal to view and manage their transactions, accept estimates, pay invoices and get client account statements.
Manage Appointments
Already booked a Consultation? Log-in to your Appointment Dashboard and change or manage your bookings to suit your availability.
Document Management
Our clients can securely view, share and comment on documents online at any time via our dedicated document management portal linked to your matter.
Pay Legal Fees
We offer an online payment facility to our clients for the payment of Legal Fees or Client Invoices online by credit or debit card at no additional cost.
Book an Appointment
Personal Immigration

UK Study Visa

Make a FREE Enquiry
UK Study Visa

UK student visa route allows overseas nationals over the age of 16 to come and undertake higher studies in the UK. The child applicants between the age of 4 and 17 may apply for a child student visa instead. The students are sponsored by the educational institution normally for the duration of the course and issued with a visa to study that particular course at that institution. From 05 October 2020, the UK government announced the new student visa route and the requirements of the same are set out below.

Study Visa Requirements

Students will be required to score a total of 70 points to be granted leave, these points are non-tradable. Points will be awarded for meeting the requirements of the route, which comprise of the sponsorship requirements, English language requirements and maintenance/finance requirements.

The Key requirements of the Tier 4 student visa are as below:

  • Offered an unconditional place on a course by a Tier 4 licensed educational institution;
  • Competent in English Language of at least CEFR level B1 for Degree level and B2 for Degree level or higher;
  • Be able to provide for the cost of living in the UK and pay for course fees without relying on public funds.

Students applying under the new student route from outside the UK, now can do so up to 6 months prior to the start of their course.

EU nationals can apply for entry clearance applications from 5 October 2020, for entry to the UK from 1 January 2021. Nationals from the EU, EEA and Switzerland have been added to the list of ‘low risk’ nationals. Any students from these countries will not be required to submit evidence to show that they meet the financial requirements or provide their academic qualifications used to obtain an offer of study.

If the applicant is applying for permission to stay and has been living in the UK with permission for 12 months or more on the date of application, they will meet the financial requirement and do not need to show funds. The UK government requires students to maintain funds for at least 28 days before the application.  If the applicant is applying for entry clearance, or is applying for permission to stay and has been in the UK with permission for less than 12 months, the applicant must have the following funds; Students studying in London must have sufficient funds to pay any outstanding course fees as stated on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, and £1,265 for each month of the course (up to a maximum of 9 months). Students studying outside of London must have Sufficient funds to pay any outstanding course fees as stated on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, and £1,015 for each month of the course (up to a maximum of 9 months). If the application is under Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme. If the applicant is applying for entry clearance or permission to stay and is applying as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or to study on a recognised foundation programme as a doctor or dentist in training, they will meet the financial requirement and do not need to show funds.

English requirements are met if they have already shown they met the requirement, at the level required for their current application, in a previous successful application for entry clearance or permission to remain in the UK. The English language requirements can be met if they are a national of any of the selected Majority-English-speaking countries or if they have a qualifying qualification. An applicant will meet the English language requirement if they have provided a valid digital reference number from an approved provider showing they have passed an approved English language test to the required level in the two years before the date of application. Where an applicant has a GCSE, A’ level, Scottish National Qualification at level 4 or 5 or Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher, in English language or literature they will meet the English language requirements.

Work Rights

Students who undertaking a course at or above Degree level (NQF Level 6) at a UK higher education institution are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time; work full-time during vacations;do a work placement as part of the course or work as a sabbatical officer in a Students’ Union for up to 2 years. If the course is below degree level, then students can only work 10 hours a week during term time.

How can we assist?

Our Immigration lawyers at City Legal have immense experience in assisting international students from across the globe. We are also a British Council accredited Education Consultancy firm and have partnered with selected Universities to provide admission & education consultancy services directly to our clients. We can provide all services under one roof; whether it is an admission to the university, study visa application or discussing post-study options.

We are a multi-award-winning law firm and pride ourselves in being approachable, innovative and always going that extra mile to make sure our clients receive the individual attention they deserve. Our Immigration team maintains a high reputation and is committed to providing clear, transparent and reliable advice to our clients.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I bring family members if I come to study in the UK?

International students who are studying a full-time course of 6 months or longer sponsored by a Government or International sponsorship agency; or who are studying a postgraduate level course of 9 months or longer at a higher education provider with a track record of compliance, as well as students with permission to undertake a Doctorate Extension Scheme, can be joined by their unmarried partner / spouse and children.

Is there a maximum period of study?

The Home Office’s revised Student Visa route, which came into force on 05 October 2020, allows for international students aged 18+, who are undertaking courses below degree, to remain in the UK for a maximum of two years. Exemptions apply to international students who are undertaking a course below degree which is subject to a regulatory requirement by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. International students who are instead studying a course at degree level, are still subject to the 5 years CAP, unless their course of study is one listed for exemption. The revised Student Visa route reflects no study cap for postgraduate courses, other than for those who have previously been granted leave as postgraduate doctor or dentists – in which case the study cap would be 3 years.

What can I do if my student visa application is refused?

The students may decide to submit a new fresh application correcting any previous errors; challenge the decision by administrative review if there has been a case working error or challenge by the way of a judicial review if the decision was unlawful, unreasonable or procedurally unfair and improper.

What are the relaxations given for applicants from low risk countries?

Some applicants applying for a Student visa are deemed as low risk applicants and they do not need to provide evidence of qualification or maintenance. They must have a passport issued by one of the countries specified by the Home Office in the Immigration rules under Appendix ST .

Is it possible to show the Bank Statements of the applicant's parents to meet maintenance requirements?

The applicants may show maintenance funds in an account owned by them or their parents or legal guardians. They must also provide evidence of the relationship and consent from the account holder to use the money.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram