Sponsor License Applications
In order to employ skilled workers from outside the EU, UK employers must first apply to UK Visas and Immigration for a Tier 2 and/or Tier 5 sponsor licence. Non-EEA nationals must have a job offer from an employer that has made a successful sponsor licence application before they can apply to come to, or remain in, the UK for work.
In order to obtain a sponsor licence, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:
- Your company is a genuine organisation operating lawfully in the UK;
- You are honest, dependable and reliable;
- You are capable of carrying out your sponsor duties and evidencing your compliance in an appropriate timeframe and manner;
- If you are applying under Tier 2 (General), you can offer genuine employment that meets the Tier 2 (General) skill level and appropriate rates of pay.
In order to establish that you are a genuine organisation operating lawfully in the UK, you will need to submit a number of company-related documents. The exact documents will depend upon the type of organisation that you are and the tiers that you wish to sponsor migrants under.
UKVI will assess whether you are honest, dependable and reliable by looking at your history and background, as well as that of the key personnel named on your application and any people involved in the day to day running of your business.
UKVI will examine your current human resources and recruitment practices in order to make sure that you are able to fulfil your sponsor duties. Under the genuineness test, UKVI will look at the role that you are seeking to recruit foreign nationals for, and the extent to which this role fits within your organisation as a whole.
Your submission to the Home Office must also include evidence of compliance with the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT), if the role requires one.
You can apply for a sponsor licence online. At the end of the application, you will need to print out the submission sheet and post it to UK Visas and Immigration, along with the correct supporting documents. Most sponsor licence applications are processed within 8 weeks.
As part of the sponsor licence application process, UK Visas and Immigration may visit your business premises in order to check if it satisfies the sponsorship criteria. It is important that your sponsor licence application is prepared carefully, as there is no right of appeal if your licence application is refused. If you are refused a licence, you may not be able to apply again from 6 months for up to five years, depending on the circumstances.
Once your application has been approved, you will be granted an A-rated sponsor licence, following which you can start assigning Certificates of Sponsorship to migrants who wish to work for you, and you will be listed under the register of sponsors.
You will be given access to the Sponsor Management System (SMS). This is an online portal where you can manage your licence. You must also use the system to report certain events, such as if a migrant fails to report to work. A sponsor licence is valid for 4 years, after which you will need to apply for a renewal.
Our service extends to all aspects of sponsorship, including:
- Tier 2 Sponsor Licence application and management without interruption of business activities
- Easy to understand explanations of all Home Office rules and regulations
- Verification and processing of all documentation requirements
- Complete Human Resources checks and audits in preparation for compliance
- Full support and guidance to ensure that your business is prepared for a Home Office audit
Our Corporate immigration lawyers assist UK employers to obtain the right sponsor licence, maintain their licence at the highest rating and comply with their sponsor duties. Please give us a call on 0330 058 3929 or email us at email@example.com for any sponsor license enquiries.