The United Kingdom’s Tier 1 visa immigration scheme is part of the five tier points based visa system for immigration to the UK. Tier 1 visas are for eligible entrepreneurs, investors, and for the very small number of people who can come under the “Exceptional Talent” visa category.
Tier 1 Entrepreneur
If you are a foreign businessman from outside the EU and would like to run your own business in the UK, you should seriously consider the UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa. If you wish to invest in the UK by starting or taking over a business or by becoming a part-owner of a UK business, you can come to the UK under the Entrepreneur sub-category of Tier 1. Please be aware that you must be actively involved in the running of the business. In order to qualify, you must score at least 95 points under the Tier 1 points-based system.
With a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa, you can operate your business (or businesses) as a limited company, earn income as a self-employed individual, and even study part-time. Together with any dependents that join you under the Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa, you can enjoy travel beyond the UK for up to 180 days every year while earning your qualifications for Indefinite Leave to Remain, and ultimately, British Citizenship. Dependents are also able to work and earn an income.
For more information on Tier 1 Entrepreneur category or for detailed advice, call one of our expert Immigration lawyers on 0330 058 3929. You can check your eligibility by submitting a case evaluation request here.
To obtain entry into the UK via the entrepreneur visa route, you must meet the following criteria:
- have access to £50,000 or £200,000 in investment funds
- intend to establish a UK business
- be proficient in the English language
- be able to support yourself & family during your stay (these funds are in addition to your investment funds)
- be at least 16 years old
- prove the credibility of the business and proposal by successful passing of the Genuine Entrepreneur Test
Our team can assist you in meeting these requirements, especially the Genuine Entrepreneur Test, which will require a detailed business plan and in most cases an interview with an immigration official of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
Applicants must include the following documents when applying for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa:
- an up-to-date passport or other lawful travel identification
- evidence of the £50,000 or £200,000 investment funds available to you
- a business plan
- proof you can support yourself during your stay
- evidence you meet the English language requirement
- your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you must take the test
- a criminal record certificate from any country you have lived in for a year or more in the last ten years
Our expert lawyers can assist you with collating the required documentation and preparing a persuasive business plan. We have a high rate of success in helping entrepreneurs with their visa matter.
Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa holders can enjoy the following:
- permanent residency after five years
- opportunity to fast-track residency after three years when qualifying milestones are met
- British Citizenship for you and your dependents after six years and permanent residency
- any time you spend in the UK under your Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa can be combined with time spent under other visas to contribute to the ten-year residency qualification
Client Success Stories
Our client was a Dental Nurse who wanted to set up her own private dental practise. Client was previously on a Tier 2 General which was revoked and client ended up making a FLR(HRO) application before approaching us. We managed to do a variation of the Human rights application and submitted a strong and carefully prepared Tier 1 application in country. Due to the Immigration history we were anticipating a genuine entrepreneur interview, but our client got a positive response in less than 6 weeks with no interview.
Our client was a PBS dependant who engaged in self employment activity whilst being in the UK . We represented the client in preparing and submitting a business proposal and applied for a Tier 1 Entry Clearance from India. Our client was granted Entry clearance within 5 days without any interview. It is worth noting client did not had any previous work experience or qualifications linking to the business and a careful strategy in preparation of the evidence of self employment activity and market research whilst in the UK worked in client's favour.
Our client was a Tier 5 Dependant engaged in Consultancy Business. We were instructed to represent a new software launch further to a Venture Capital Investment and have successfully prepared the file to apply from out of country. Client was interviewed by the UKVI and had a successful outcome within 2 weeks of submission.