UK Ancestry Visa

If you are a Commonwealth citizen and have a grandparent who was born in the UK, you could be eligible for a UK Ancestry Visa.  You can live and work in the UK for a period of up to five years with an Ancestry visa, as well as exit and re-enter the UK freely on multiple occasions.

Eligibility Requirements:

In order to be eligible for the Ancestry Visa you must show that:

  • You are a Commonwealth citizen
  • You are aged 17 years or over
  • You have a grandparent who was born in the UK
  • You are able to work
  • You intend to take employment in the UK
  • You are able to support and house yourself and any dependants without recourse to any public funding

You may bring your spouse, partner and/or dependent children with you. They are allowed to stay for the same time as you are and there usually aren’t any restrictions relating to their employment.

Indefinite leave to remain on Ancestry Visa

Ancestry visas are normally issued for five years. At the end of that period, if you have lived in the UK continuously – spending fewer than 180 consecutive days outside of the country – you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

If you have an Ancestry visa that was issued before April 2006, this period will most likely be for four years. If your Ancestry visa is for four years, you may apply for a one-year extension and then for ILR. After spending 12 months on ILR, you may be eligible to naturalise as a British citizen and gain UK citizenship.

This visa comes with a challenging application process, and many are denied on their first attempt. Our lawyers have extensive experience with UK Ancestry Visas, and are ready to help you successfully acquire your visa.

To obtain expert advice and a first rate service; please contact our team on 0330 058 3929.

Common Issues with UK Ancestry Visa

When applying for an Ancestry visa you must have around £1200 – £1600 in your account 90 days prior to your date of application. These funds doesn’t need to be raised by yourself. A lot of applicants secure these funds through a sponsor (something the UK government fully supports). You can always use a close confidant as your sponsor – a parent, colleague or friend will do. They will need to send the UK government a formal letter of sponsorship stating that you possess the requisite funds to sustain yourself during your first few months of living in the UK.

This is the most common difficulty we come across, and the one with the simplest solution. If you don’t have your grandparent’s birth certificate or your parents’ marriage certificate, just get in touch and we’ll source it for you. We’ll get hold of the original, unabridged document and make sure it gets posted directly to us, safely and securely.