Most people arriving in the UK can use ePassport gates to get through border control.
You can use ePassport gates if all of the following are true:
- you’ve got the biometric symbol on the cover of your passport
- you’re 18 or over
- you’re a UK or EU citizen
How to use ePassport gates
- Open your passport to the photo page. Don’t forget to remove the passport from its cover.
- Hold the photo page down on the reader and try to keep it still.
- Look at the screen in front until it turns green, then walk through the gate.
- Remove sunglasses, hats and scarves. You might need to take your glasses off too.
- Go through the gates one at a time.