You would like to study in the United Kingdom?

Find our tips and tricks how to come and study in the United Kingdom without any struggle.

Do I need a visa to come to the UK and study?

If you are an EEA or Swiss national then you do not need permission to enter the UK or to study here.

If you are coming to the UK to study for a maximum of six months, or 11 months if you will be studying English language, you may be able to enter as a ‘short-term student’. For some nationalities who come to the UK as a ‘short-term student’, it is not compulsory to obtain entry clearance before travelling to the UK as long as your course is less than six months long.

However, if you choose to come as a short-term student you will be much more restricted than if you come as a Tier 4 student. You will not be allowed to work, even if it is part of a course or unpaid work. You will also not be allowed to apply to extend your stay in the UK. If the short-term student route is not appropriate for you then you have to obtain entry clearance as a Tier 4 student before travelling to the UK, regardless of your nationality.

Where can I study as a Tier 4 (General) student?

As a Tier 4 (General) student, you can study at any school, college or university which has been granted a Tier 4 (General) sponsor licence by the Home Office. Only institutions with a Tier 4 sponsor licence can issue you with a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), which you must obtain in order to apply for immigration permission as a Tier 4 (General) student.

What if I am 16 or 17 years old?

If you are younger than 16 years, you can apply for permission to study at an Independent fee-paying school, but you have to apply as a Tier 4 (Child) student, not as a Tier 4 (General). Ask your school for information about how to apply.

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can sometimes choose to apply either as a Tier 4 (Child) student or as a Tier 4 (General) student. This will depend on:

  • the type of institution (school, college or university) where you intend to study
  • the type of Tier 4 sponsor licence the institution holds: a Tier 4 (Child) licence or a Tier 4 (General) licence, (or both)
  • the level of the course.
  • If you are applying as a Tier 4 (Child), speak to your institution directly.

What should be my first step?

If you want to come to the UK to study, you need to apply to the UK immigration authorities under Tier 4 of the Points Based System (PBS). Usually, you must meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules which are in force on the date that you submit your immigration application. The information in this section is based on the most recent changes to the Immigration Rules which came into force on 19 November 2015.

If you want to make a successful Tier 4 (General) application, it is extremely important that:

  • before you apply, you read and understand the Home Office’s Tier 4 policy guidance
  • you check that you meet all the requirements before you apply
  • you provide evidence in the exact format required by the Home Office, as explained in the policy guidance and on the application form
  • you complete all sections of the form, fully and accurately
  • your application does not come under the general grounds for refusal
  • you check with an adviser at the institution where you intend to study, for any further changes that might affect your application.

You should wait until you have obtained your Tier 4 visa before you book any non-refundable tickets for travel.

For any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Share this:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *